Sunday, June 9, 2019

My unit plan is over fairy tales. Below are a list of books that I could use to help further my students understanding of the concept.

Peter Pan By: JM Barrie

The Little Mermaid By: Hans Christian Anderson

The Ugly Duckling By: Hans Christian Anderson

Stone Soup By: Ann McGovern

Rumpelstiltskin By Paul O Zelinsky

Rump: The True Story of Rumpelstiltskin By: Liesl Shurtliff

Samurai Santa: A Very Ninja Christmas By: Rubin Pingk

Perfectly Norman By: Tom Percival

The Three Little Pigs By: James Marshall

The Three Little Pigs By: Al Dempster

I have chosen these books because they allow me to integrate a variety of cultures along with traditional fairy tale text that we know and love. I will use two versions of The Three Little Pigs to compare and contrast. I will also allow students to read these books from the classroom library.

3 comments:

  1. I like your book choices. A lot of times people don't think about reading the same book by different authors but it is a very good way to help students make comparisons and build their schema. -Rebekah Hedge

    ReplyDelete
  2. Samurai Santa is a new one for me, I'm going to have to check that one out! I love the idea of comparing the story of the three little pigs, there are so many different stories told from almost all available viewpoints. This is a great way to discuss literature and the ways it not only changes as its passed on, but how that change relates to history and culture. This is such a simple yet powerful gateway into a wonderful discussion about literature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent list, especially for the cultural aspect. Saved your link for future reference.

    ReplyDelete