Friday, May 10, 2019

Word Walls

Word walls are an essential part of every classroom! They are a great way to give students access to content that is being covered in class. Word walls can also contain pictures that help students associate the words with sounds, letters, or topics. I love the use of pictures paired with words. I am a visual learner, so seeing words and pictures on the walls in school always helped.

I found a good link that explains word walls and how to use them in the classroom. See the link below.

www.readingrockets.org/strategies/word_walls\

I plan on using word walls to teach students vocabulary directed at specific topics such as conjuctions, muscle groups, sight words, and math
facts.

I believe word walls are a great way to provide knowledge to students at the tips of their fingers.

Below are links to some word walls that I found that could be useful in my classroom.

http://primarycornerstone.com/2017/03/21/what-is-portable-word-wall-and-why-do.html

This is a portable word wall. What a great way for students to access information and take it back to their seats.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/303359724893200714/

This is a phonic sound wall. I see this very useful for younger students just learning how to read.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/298152437821864995/

Its always hard to get students to recognize the vocabulary associated with adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing. This word wall helps make that easier.



4 comments:

  1. What grade level are you wanting to teach at Josh? I was looking at your information and it looks like you are wanting to work with some of the older grade levels. I liked your phonic word wall. I plan on working with lower elementary between pre-k and second grade. I think that a phonic word wall be be very useful. Space is often times so limited and so I want to come up with a way to do commonly used words, informative word, phonetic words, and just fun sparkle words.-Rebekah Hedgepath

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love 3rd grade. That is the grade I did my student teaching in and also have worked with that age group for 6 years in summer camps.

      Delete
  2. Including pictures in your word wall is an excellent idea! Did you find a great image that displays images while still being considerate of space? This is something I have been struggling with in my search.
    I also included portable word walls, and I love the way they provide knowledge while allowing students to stay focused when they are needing the information. My goal is to have a small flip book at each table which will include all words on the word wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the portable word wall idea! Space is so limited in classrooms. I also think flip books are a great way to have content available for kids.

      Delete